May 4, 2018 saw the conclusion of the first edition of the Qatar Mountain Bike League finishing with a fast paced and action packed Men MTB XC Eliminator (XCE) and Women XC Short Circuit (XCC) points race in Duhail. The Men XCE was won by Filipino rider Max Caparanga, the current Overall champion for Elite Category for the Qatar Mountain Bike League, and the Women XCC was won by Tessa Du Toit of South Africa.
Qatar Mountain Bike League season 2017/2018 is a series of seven Cross Country Mountain Bike races for the whole season which started in September and ends this May. The MTB league featured the trails of Al Kheesa, Al Khor, Duhail and Lusail. The league also includes the Al Adaid Desert Challenge and the Umm Jurn 24 Hours Mountain Bike Challenge. The Qatar Mountain Bike league was organized in collaboration with Qatar Cycling Federation and the United Filipino Mountain Bikers Qatar and was supported by Qatar Chain Reaction, Rayyan Water & Qatar Cyclists Center.
Overall points and ranking system was introduced this season wherein participants of the each of the mountain bike races included in the league will collect points according to their ranks in their respective categories in each of the races. Overall league leaders was determined by their accumulated points at the end of the season.
Mr. Jamal Al-Kuwari Secretary General of the Qatar Cycling& Triathlon Federation thanks the United Filipino Mountain Bikers Qatar for a job well done in organizing the races of the mountain bike league.The Filipino mountain biking community have come a long way and had contributed much with the development and promotion of mountain bike cycling as a competitive sport in the State of Qatar taking the competition from a grassroots level to a higher class of competition like this mountain bike league. Jamal Al-Kuwari also commented that Qatar Cycling & Triathlon Federation will continue to support the mountain biking sport and is now planning for another mountain bike league for the next season. He also hope for more participation of Qatari mountain bikers for the next season.
1. Max Caparanga (PHL) – 176pts
2. Marc Mourad (LBN) – 161pts
3. Davy Muller (BEL) – 142pts
1. Pia Sundstedt (FIN) – 148pts
2. Jennifer Kaaoush (USA) – 141pts
3. Maricar Estacio (PHL) – 139pts
Age Category – Under 23
1. Ernie Daniel Francisco (PHL) – 176pts
2. Mohamed Abougabarah (Qatar National Team) – 168pts
3. Hamza Al Kassem (Qatar National Team) – 96pts
1. Carlo Maniebo (PHL) – 167pts
2. Ali Harb (LBN) – 164pts
3. Mehdi Mersni (TUN) – 105pts
Age Category – 35 to 40
1. Elvis Agco (PHL) – 177pts
2. Eleazar Juta (PHL) – 112pts
3. Rhandolph Arellano (PHL) – 99pts
1. Rogelio Fernandez Jr. (PHL) – 172pts
2. Jun Brizuela (PHL) – 136pts
3. Revelito Pasion (PHL) – 109pts.